Thursday, January 13, 2011

How to survive a new city...

Yesterday I got a comment from one of my fav. readers. He went to school with my sister and lets me know when my blog sounds too lame. He wanted to know why I stopped writing about travel. Well sadly, I haven't traveled in a bit because I'm broke BUT at least this is sorta on the right track.
When you first move to a new city life is rough. You may have one friend who is far too easy to depend on or you have no friends at all. So when you have to start a new life how the hell do you do it? And no, going away to college doesn't count because they just sort of hand you a new life at orientation. So here's my guide on how to survive in a new city...

10. First things first, you need a purpose. You can't just move to a new city for fun and then float aimlessly, well unless you're Paris Hilton. So here's what you do, make sure you have a reason to get up in the morning, whether it be for work, school, or simply volunteering. If you don't you'll end up just drifting and drifting=depression.

9. Make friends. You need friends and you need them fast. When I moved to London I had a few friends already but I had to make a conscious effort not to lean on them too much and find my own life. So when someone asks you to hang out, do it. If you can't meet them at work or school, join a club or once again, volunteer. You need to meet people and despite what most movies tell you, you probably won't find your new bff waiting in line at Tesco.

8. Know your city. For the first few weeks when you arrive explore the shit out of your city. Even if you've visited it before, now you get to know it in a new way. Find a coffee shop that you like, find a pub, find you're local store. Get to know it as a local and blend in.

7. Get into a routine. When I first went to Romania and in London, I acted like a tourist and spent a ton of money living like one. Of course I can go out to dinner, and a movie, and buy a book, and this new shirt, I'm in a new city! Nope, you aren't a tourist anymore, you live here so now you need a budget and a routine. That's not to say that you can't go treat yourself every once in awhile, but don't spend $500 in your first weekend...oops.

6. Don't get wifed up. If you're new, you have no friends, and you go out on a date it's really easy to fall into it and get wifed up in record time. Don't do that. Go on dates and have fun, but remember moving to a new city means you are trying to be independent so don't get wifed just because you're bored. In fact date as many people as possible, think of all the free food.

5. Don't call home constantly. When you first break up with a boy it's really hard not to call him constantly, same goes for when you break up with a city. All your friends were there, your life was there, it's easy to get homesick and miss it, but remember you're on a new adventure so forget about your lame boring ex.

4. When you go to class or work be extra extra extroverted, I mean but not in an obnoxious way. I tend to be more of a loner so when I move to a new place I have to force myself to be social. This definitely goes along with the making friends thing, but it is that important that it needs to be said twice.

3. Embrace the new city and culture. If you move from LA to NYC it probably sucks that the energy is much faster. If you move from the country to any city you might get offended that people aren't as friendly as they were back home, but don't bitch about it, embrace it until you're living it.

2. Go to events/concerts/readings. Like I said, routines and budgets are important, but so is having fun and experiencing the city, so if theres a band playing that you like, go see them, if David Sedaris is holding a reading GO SEE HIM! Even if you go alone. Going to events by yourself can be a lot of fun and it's good for you.

1. Never say No. and I don't mean that in a rape-esq thing. But if someone invites you out take them up on it. Even if it is that creepy guy in the corner, who knows maybe he's cool and you'll have a good night. Take every opportunity that is presented to you and whatever you do don't stay in on a Friday night. Don't wade into your new life, cannonball in.

No comments:

Post a Comment